HD/4D Baby Scan
A 3D/4D ultrasound scan can be performed in order to see a preview of the baby from 26 to 32 weeks of pregnancy.
A 4D scan is a 3D scan with the added dimension of time – as in a film or video – so the baby can be seen to be moving. 4D scans are not usually needed for medical reasons.
If the baby has a rare malformation, a 3D or 4D scan could provide extra information for medical purposes, but this is rare.
Parents may want the scan if they are curious to see their baby's face. If you have a 3D or 4D scan, we always do a wellbeing scan first, before trying to view the face or other parts of the body in 4D. It may take some time to get a good view of the baby, so the scan could take 30-60 minutes.
If the baby is not in a favourable position you may be asked to go for a walk and return later. The best time to do a 4D scan is at 26-32 weeks of pregnancy when there is a greater volume of amniotic fluid but when the baby has not yet become too big. It is more difficult to see the face if the baby has its arms or legs in front of the face. The baby can be seen to be moving. Sometimes it is possible to record your baby yawning or stretching.
When can I have the scan?
A 3D/4D scan is ideally is performed between 26 – 32 weeks of pregnancy.
What will be checked during the scan?
- Umbilical artery doppler
- The placenta position and appearance
- Amount of amniotic fluid
- Stomach, kidneys and bladder
- Gender (if you wish)
What are the indications or reasons for having this scan?
- Unsure of dates
- Bleeding or spotting
- Unusual pain
- History of early miscarriage
- History of a ectopic pregnancy
Consultant or Sonographer?
- If you are having a normal pregnancy, then in most cases a scan by one of our experienced sonographers is advisable. All our sonographers are fully qualified and accredited, so you are in safe hands.
- If however, you are experiencing complications with your pregnancy or need a second opinion, a scan with our consultant is recommended.
Is it easy to make an appointment?
We offer morning, afternoon and occasionally evening appointments during the week as well as Saturday appointments. We have a wide range of availability therefore short notice appointments can be easily arranged.
What you will receive:
- A report to file with your maternity notes.
- A video recording sent to an email of your choice via iBabyScan
How to Prepare for your scan
- A moderately full bladder will improve the viability of the scan done over the tummy.
What is an iBabyScan?
The Birth Company is the first clinic in London to offer iBabyScan, allowing you to share your pregnancy ultrasound with friends and family wherever they are in the world. This optional recording can be shared with 1-click via Email, Facebook and Twitter. Simply tell your sonographer that you would like an iBabyScan – it only takes an additional one or two minutes.
What is the next scan following a 3D/4D ultrasound?
A wellbeing and growth scan can be done anytime after 22 weeks for reassurance.