£20 surcharge is applied to Saturday appointments.
A 25% surcharge is applied to twin pregnancies.
Call 020 7725 0528 to book
Free 4d Preview
We offer a free short preview of your baby in glorious 4d with every 12 week or later scan you have at The Birth Company.
Share your scan
iBabyScan is available with all of our scans. You can share video of your scan with friends and family online securely within moments of your scan.
You do not need a referral for any services performed by the Birth Company.
Using our services will not affect your right to NHS care.
The reports and scans we perform are often more comprehensive than NHS equivalent and will be accepted by NHS midwives and consultants. On the rare occasion that it is necessary, and only with your permission, we are also able to discuss your case with your primary caregiver.
For further information, please contact us.
The 20 week Anomaly Scan is an important detailed scan of the fetal anatomy, including placenta position, amniotic fluid and fetal growth.
At the beginning measurements will be made of the baby's head, brain, abdomen and legs. These will be plotted on a chart. We then continue a very thorough scan to check your baby's heart, brain, spine, bowel and limbs, to detect any abnormalities. This can never completely guarantee that the baby will be normal, but it gives very strong reassurance. We also check the placenta, amniotic fluid and the umbilical cord. If you wish, you can find out the sex of your baby from this scan.
What is currently offered by the NHS?
Pregnant woman are offered two routine ultrasound scans: One at approximately 12 weeks and the other at 20 weeks of pregnancy. The 20 week anomaly scan is essentially the most important ultrasound during pregnancy. Women often come to have a scan with us as a result of the following:
- Second opinion
- More detailed scan
- Calm and relaxing environment
- As reassurance
- If the woman missed her appointment or was on holidays at time of the NHS appointment
How is the scan done?
- Anomaly scans are performed at 20-22 weeks of pregnancy and are done ‘transabdominally’ which means over the tummy.
- The heart and brain can be seen more clearly at this time of pregnancy as the baby is growing bigger.
What structures of the baby can be checked?
The heart, brain, face, spine, bowel, stomach, kidneys, limbs, hands and feet for any abnormalities
What other information can I expect?
- The placenta position and appearance
- Amniotic fluid
- Cervix appearance and length
- Gender (if you wish)
Is there someone I can talk to about the outcome of my scan?
Yes, a consultant will be available to talk to if you have additional questions, concerns or if an abnormality was detected. Further tests including the Harmony Test or invasive tests such as a CVS or Amniocentesis can also be explained in depth.
What are the indications or reasons for having this scan?
We recomend this scan to all pregnant mothers.
Consultant or Sonographer?
- If you are having a normal pregnancy, then in most cases a scan by one of our experienced sonographers is advisable. All our sonographers are fully qualified and accredited, so you are in safe hands.
- If however, you are experiencing complications with your pregnancy or need a second opinion, a scan with our consultant is recommended.
Is it easy to make an appointment?
We offer morning, afternoon and occasionally evening appointments during the week as well as Saturday appointments. We have a wide range of availability therefore short notice appointments can be easily arranged.
What you will receive:
- Immediate results including gestational age and estimated due date.
- A report to file with your maternity notes.
- Size of the baby charts
- A video recording sent to an email of your choice via iBabyScan
How to Prepare for your scan
- A moderately full bladder will improve the viability of the scan done over the tummy.
What is an iBabyScan?
The Birth Company is the first clinic in London to offer iBabyScan, allowing you to share your pregnancy ultrasound with friends and family wherever they are in the world. This optional recording can be shared with 1-click via Email, Facebook and Twitter. Simply tell your sonographer that you would like an iBabyScan – it only takes an additional one or two minutes.
Is there an additional cost for a twin pregnancy?
Yes. An additional 25% of the original cost is added for mothers expecting twins or triplets
What is the next scan following an early pregnancy scan?
A wellbeing and growth scan can be done anytime after 22 weeks for reassurance.