In all pregnancies the mother’s blood group is checked. Should the mother be Rhesus Negative (15% chance in white Europeans) and the father be Rhesus Positive (85% chance in white Europeans) then the baby has a 66% chance of being Rhesus Positive and 33% chance of being Rhesus Negative. If the mother is Rhesus Negative and the baby is Rhesus positive, then there is a small chance that baby’s blood cells can cross to the mother’s circulation and set up an antibody response which can cross back and damage the baby. This can be prevented by giving all mothers an injection of Anti D immunoglobulin. This is manufactured safely from human blood products. However, in 33% of cases the injection is unnecessary.
The routine injection for all mothers has been necessary because until recently it was difficult to know the baby’s blood group when still in the womb. The technology which gives us NIPT (Non-Invasive Prenatal Testing) for Down’s syndrome is also used, by a different laboratory, for NIPT to determine the baby’s blood group. This is done by taking a simple blood sample from a vein in the mother’s arm and sending it to a specialised laboratory. Within a few days the mother will be advised of the baby’s blood group. Should it be Rhesus Negative then nothing more needs done, and you do not require the Anti D injections. Should the baby be Rhesus Positive you will need to discuss the need for an Anti D injection with a midwife. The NHS accept these results. In fact, the test is done in an NHS laboratory although it is generally not available in NHS care.
If your unborn baby is predicted to be D negative, please discuss the results with your primary care midwife who will recommend that you do not have anti-D injections before or after giving birth. However, there is a very small chance (0.1%) that the baby might be found to be D positive once born. In this case you are likely to be offered an anti-D injection at that time by your NHS Hospital.
The Rhesus blood test is predictive, with a positive predictive value of 98%. This means that we would expect 98 out of 100 babies with a predictive positive result to be confirmed as D positive after birth, however, 2.0% (2 out of 100 babies) may in fact be D negative.
If your blood test report predicts that your unborn baby is D positive, or the result is inconclusive, your primary care team will offer an anti-D injection. This is of no concern as anti-D prophylaxis would have been offered in all cases if DNA testing had not taken place and the injection will not harm your baby.
For more information: Rhesus disease - Prevention
We had received possible worrying news from our NHS anomaly scan, without much information provided or confirmation. I am so pleased that we came to The Birth Company for reassurance, as we are now extremely happy that everything is fine. Shahrzad was fantastic and went through the whole anomaly scan thoroughly, explaining everything and looking in detail at each area. Nothing was rushed and she took her time to make sure baby was in the correct position to get the best results. We can’t thank her and Dr Gibb enough for the confidence they have given us. Would highly recommend The Birth Company for all scans.
' Professional and reassuring 'Helen Campbell
The sonographer was ready as soon as I arrived, and she was extremely calming, personable and professional. The scan and blood test where efficient without feeling rushed and all very easy. These appointments can feel uneasy and make you feel anxious but I felt reassured and in professional hands the whole time
I saw Kate throughout my first pregnancy and am now doing so again with my second. She is absolutely amazing, she explains everything really clearly, and has answered all sorts of bizarre questions and worries I have had. On top of being clinically excellent she is also just the loveliest person and always a pleasure to see.Sarah Elliott
We had the harmony test with the Birth Company and had a reassurance scan with sonographer Kirsty McGarry who was absolutely lovely and really put our minds at rest. We had been scared by our NHS dating scan and left feeling like there was something wrong. We explained the situation and was treated very professionally and with good care. Also speedy appointments also as I had phone in the morning and got an appointment by afternoon. So thankful.Ashley and Tom
Really friendly, efficient service. Great experience overall. Had the Panorama. My appointment was with Kate who was absolutely fantastic. The results came really quickly. Have a comparison with private healthcare elsewhere and must say that The Birth Company was just how I would like to be treated when I pay for medical services - attentively, calmly, friendly, in a pleasant environment that doesn't look like hospital. Top marks!Anna
' Efficient, friendly and always on hand to provide last minute appointments 'Anna s
The Birth Company has been excellent, providing timely scans and blood tests during my IVF treatment abroad. Staff are always friendly and extremely efficient. I would highly recommend coming here.
' Professional and friendly 'Lyndsey Dilla
When I first contacted the Birth Company I spoke to Danielle. She was fantastic. She went above & beyond to put me at easy & make the journey from Kent as stress free as possible. Every staff member that myself and my husband have come into contact with have been approachable, professional and friendly. Kate scanned me the first time and put me completely at easy. Lisa on reception is professional and very approachable. Highly recommended
' Highly recommended 'Emelie
Donald was so lovely! I was so nervous as I have a bad history and he was super quick and confirmed my baby's heartbeat as quickly as he could. He spent time showing me the baby and the anatomy and it was the best money I have ever spent! The reception girls were lovely too - considering they deal with babies day in day out they were super excited for me! Thank you so much one and all! If only I lived in London and could have all my scans with you!
Great Portland Street